Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Altered Book Project

So my county has visited the visual journal thing before. I recall one year we did a workshop in my classroom with Visual Journal artist Jeanne Minnix . I didn't get it. My good friend and mentor Helena was always such a prolific journaler. On our trip to New York for the National Art Educators Conference a few years back, she created the most incredible journal about our adventures. 

These images are such a treasure to me.
They completely capture that amazing trip.

  

 But even watching Helena work, I just didn't get it. I don't work that way. I need to understand the structure of the page, the process of working through it step by step, and art journaling is all about finding your own process. And I didn't have one. Also the personal journaling doesn't appeal to me.
 I have a difficult time enough with blogging. 

 But this year, one of our middle school teachers proposed an altered book swap. We worked on one book a month. It changed everything for me. It was a chance to experiment, explore techniques and enjoy the process. I looked around at different artists, blogs, youtube videos and images on Pinterest. It started to click with me. I joined another journal swap. I gathered with my friends to journal together and get feedback. Through working through the different techniques and explorations with new materials, I began to make connections with the work I did 5 years ago in my mixed media graduate class at VCU. Finally all the pieces came together. I am really enjoying the work I am creating right now. I have to give much thanks to the Henrico County Art Educators Altered Book swap, particularly Jill Blom, for organizing it.  This project really rekindled my artistic fire. 

 Here are some of the images I created in this project.





 I really think you can see an evolution through this year's Altered book images. 
Such an impactful project. 
I'd love to hear your feedback.

No comments: