Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Documented Life Journal 2015




I've decided to take on The Documented Life Journal project this year. I loved watching the planners last year but was late to the party and didn't ever jump on board. So I purchased a small Diana Wakely Dyelusions journal and have been waiting for my first challenge. 
First things first, make the cover something wonderful that you can't stop touching. 
I've been tossing around ideas, procrastinating, playing with Gelli prints, until finally I went for it. I could not be more pleased with myself. 
First, I took all of the mess I had created on my dining room table and got myself resit used in my studio corner. 


I've been working here all week. It was a much bigger wreck by the time I finally had enough . 


I picked through some of the papers I Gelli printed to draw a few images on. 

Finally I grasped loosely, with my fingers, and started to layer in color. I always gravitate to the same palette so it was natural to keep that palette for my cover. It's what makes me happy. A little finger painting, used my small Gelli plate, s brush, until it was ready. 
The I decoupaged on my chosen images. I decided to use gel medium, but mine is kind of old and dried up, and I didn't use enough so it didn't go on well and I had to play with it. It's resulted in a wrinkled bubbled mess, but after a little toying with it and layering on some color it's fine. Over the year it will get a beating anyhow so why start with perfection. 
I continued to layer on texture, color, accents, and finally a stamp. I also used a few embellishments from swaps and here you are! 
I'm so do pleased with my result and can't wait to open up and start dealing with those blank pages.



3 comments:

Urban Rustic said...

Very pretty!
I was like you last year and dithered on the sidelines looking at everyones work but have decided to join in this time.Hope you have fun!

mim said...

Nice result. If you're doing a 365 you should let my son know. He'll post to his 366 site. "365 make something everyday and change your life."

FinnBadger said...

Great prints. I almost tried gel printing last year... maybe in 2015.